Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Currents of the Sea



 My first canvas made of this sort,

One of my loves as a child was water, swimming in it playing in it and after seeing the film "Splash" pretending to be a mermaid and loved playing at beaches, the feel of the sand under my feet, being buried in it and of course digging and building in it and with it the look of the ocean and it`s secrets and creatures. 

I started by glueing down palm fibers, mashing down and molding gauze as the sea bed. Glueing collected shells from the beach, flowers and sprinkling it all over with coarse white sand.  
After everything is gessoed over I always paint the background first with layers of watered down acrylic paints before adding the foreground details as it helps set the mood and color tones.






I built the mermaid bit by bit ..... 










...The hair fins and tail are made with ripped tissue brushed with a mixture of gesso and talcum powder then molded to the the desired shape. It hardens to a cement like texture. 



Sometimes tissue tends to form willingly on it`s own into lovely shapes...



                                         
                                     


I have previously entered this work at SATW and I am also entering this work here. 




Hope you have enjoyed your peep here, thanks and have a great day.

19 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow amazing work! Your mermaid is fantastic! Thank you for playing along with us at SATW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This project is stunning!
    Fantastic texture. And the mermaid is amazing!
    Thanks so much for joining us at Scrap Around the World!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning! And those textures... I love it!! :) Thank you for joining us at SATW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, I am having so much fun with these projects and I love the being part of SATW and seeing all the amazing talent out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely stunning canvas! She's gorgeous your mermaid! Wow I mean wow! All the best from SATW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely, lovely canvas....fascinating see how you have built it up from scratch. LOVELY take on our ARTastic challenge....so happy to have you joining in this month:):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, it`s fun trying out new things.

      Delete
  8. Wow , loving the texture you have created. Thank you for sharing with ARTastic
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is simply gorgeous. thank you for sharing your creative process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a gorgeous piece of artwork. I love how you have created the mermaid. Thanks for sharing this with us at ARTastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh! I can see how much work has gone into this beautiful project. I love the technique that you have used to form the hair and tail. Lovely colour combo as well. Thanks for playing along at ARTastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely piece of work. Thank you for sharing with us at ARTastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just beautiful - many thanks for sharing your talent with us at ARTastic.

    ReplyDelete