Friday, April 17, 2015


As a child I remember my Mom had a great love for Batik fabrics,  once she took us to a factory in the Philippines and they showed us how they prepare and make all those lovely patterns and designs. I was young, about 8 so I do not remember the whole procedure but I do recall them dying the fabric, drying it, then dipping it in wax, drying it, crinkling it, then doing the same procedure, with other colors.
 I was thinking the other day how I could replicate somewhat the same crackled/crinkled look but with paper. I tried it with baking paper (as it is a bit waxy), food coloring and alcohol. At the end I rinsed the papers, dripped dried them, and finally scanned them at 600 dpi.
Here are some interesting looks and patterns that resulted from my experiment.









I had designed an Ocean themed paper in PS and had it printed out for a scrap image I was working on but  was not entirely pleased with the look.

Here is the finalized background paper. I am hoping to do others with a Mermaid/sailship themed look. 




Hope you like it and thanks for taking a look. Have a great day.




No comments:

Post a Comment